What We Do
Increasing and Improving Access to Care for Connecticut’s Kids!
If your child is learning remotely, we can provide care by phone or video.
Kids spend most of their days in school. When a health center is located inside of the school building, the benefits to the student are huge. Students don’t have to miss as much class to get to an appointment. Parents don’t have to take time off of work to take their child to the dentist.
Our School-Based Health Care (SBHC) staff are licensed health care providers, who work with school nurses to provide expanded medical, behavioral health, and dental services to students during the school day. They work in conjunction with the student’s primary care providers to support their health care needs. We are proud to serve over 17,000 students throughout Connecticut.
Our SBHC staff provide many health services, including back-to-school physicals, sports physicals, and vaccinations. Other services include:
- Telehealth school-based health care is available to support your child’s healthcare needs. Visits are available in person, online or over the phone. Children will have access if learning in school or at home. Click here to learn more.
- Diagnosis & treatment of illnesses and injuries (including headaches, strep throat, abdominal pain, the common cold, etc.)
- Laboratory testing
- Chronic disease management
- Prescribing and dispensing of medications
- Individual, group, and family therapy
- Crisis intervention
- Dental exams and x-rays
- Oral hygiene cleanings
- Dental services such as fluoride varnish or sealants
- Referrals to outside offices as needed.
Any student can be seen at a SBHC regardless of insurance status. Insurance is billed for services; however, there are no out-of-pocket costs to the family for Medical or Behavioral Health services. For students without insurance, there are small fees associated with Dental services.
With over 180 school-based locations across the state, check to see if there is a CHC SBHC at your child’s school here.